Fill in the Blanks: Chapter Nine
1. The correct classification of an investment is based upon the ____________ intent for which it was acquired.
2. The ____________amortized cost method is used to account for held-to-maturity investments.
3. The ____________available for sale securities category is used to account for securities that are neither trading nor held to maturity.
4. The available sale securities are reported on the balance sheet at ____________fair market value.
5. Changes in the value of available for sale securities are reported in ____________other comprehensive income.
6. The ____________all inclusive approach to measuring income is generally employed in modern financial reporting.
7. When bonds are sold at more than face value, the difference between the issue price and the face value is commonly referred to as a ____________premium.
9. Premium amortization causes interest income to ____________decrease.
10. Bond investment ____________discount amortization causes investment income to be increased beyond the amount of cash received.
11. The amortization of the premium on an investment in bonds will cause the investment in bonds account to ____________decrease.
12. A company whose shares were acquired by an investor is known as the ____________investee.
13. The equity method is appropriate for accounting for investments where the investor has acquired over ____________20 (twenty) percent of the voting stock of another company.
14. The equity method focuses principally on changes in the investee's ____________equity , rather than on changes in the market value of the investee's stock.
16. Consolidation is required for greater than 50% owned ____________subsidiaries .
17. The equity of a consolidated entity will tend to mirror the equity of the ____________parent .
18. When a subsidiary is acquired at a premium over the fair value of the identifiable assets, ____________goodwill will appear in the consolidated statements.
19. The ____________investment account will appear in the parent's separate balance sheet, but not the consolidated balance sheet.
20. If the parent and sub have done business with one another, adjustments will be needed to avoid reporting ____________intercompany transactions.